An immensely popular toy brand including action figures, movies and books, Transformers are a favorite among children ages 2 to 12. Each section of a Transformer can be changed to convert the car or animal into a robot, and back again. While the Transformer characters have primarily consisted of the good-guy Autobots and the evil Decepticons, many other versions of Transformers exist for children of all ages.
Transformers Beast Hunters were introduced in October 2012 as a new direction in the Transformers Prime television show. The Predacons, led by the Predaking, join the classic Autobots and Decepticons characters in the battle for control of Earth. This provides the Transformers series with new toys, characters and storylines for the franchise. This line is intended for children ages five and up, as it contains small parts that can be dangerous for younger children. Included in the Predacon line are:
- Transformers Predaking Overlord Figure: The leader of the Predacons, the Predaking is bent on destroying Earth through transforming from a robot to a dragon and back again.
- Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Apex Hunter Armor Suit and Breakdown Figure: This armor suit provides missiles and a crusher claw for an individual action figure, as well as converting to a battle station that fits up to 3 action figures, with blaster cannons and a gunner station.
- Kre-O Transformers Beast Hunter Mech Venom Strike Set: Children can spend hours building and rebuilding this vehicle set, which contains 49 pieces and sets of directions, specifically modeled for the Beast Hunter Transformers line.
Prices for these toys vary from $10 to $49.99 for more advanced sets.
The Bot Shots include two main factions in the fight for control of Earth, the Autobots and the Decepticons. This version of Transformers is featured in the movies Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Major characters include Megatron, Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Ironhide. Some key Bot Shot toys and games include:
- Optimus Prime Action Figure; The official Hasbro action figure converts from a robot to a vehicle. The defender of Earth, Optimus Prime is a featured Transformer in all Transformer lines.
- Transformers: Megatron Origin: This paperback book is the perfect gift for children who are interested in the origins of evil Megatron.
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon Stealth Force Edition: A multi-player video game that lets players side with the Autobots or Decepticons to wage war for the planet.
The Bot Shot line contains the most varied line of toys in the Transformers series with items varying from $10 to $59, depending on the complexity of the toy.
For children aged two to six, the Rescue Bot line offers age-appropriate toys, subject matter, and games. With an animated series, puzzles, and characters modeled after community helpers, the Rescue Bot line is an excellent way to introduce Transformers to younger children, and are priced between $4.99 for an individual action figure to $49.99 for a more advanced structure. Some popular toys in the Rescue Bot line include:
- Police Bot: This easy to manipulate and fun action figure transforms from a police robot to a police car and back.
- Heatwave the Fire Bot, Electronic Action Figure: Battery-powered, this firefighter action figure says ten key phrases and has light-up water cannons and other flashing lights.
- Rescue Bot Fire Station: Not just a fire station with a fire pole and water cannon, this structure also converts into a robot with ease.
As the Transformers line has been featured for many years, older characters remain popular. The Transformers: Generations line features classic favorites, including Shockwave, Air Raid, and Jazz. These action figures are intended for children ages five and up, and can be purchased at most toy stores or online. Some popular items include:
- Transformers Generations Deluxe Shockwave Action Figure: Transforming from a robot to an artillery vehicle, this action figure boasts an additional laser cannon.
- Transformers: The Complete Series: The original cartoon is remastered into a newly rendered video.
- Transformers War for Cybertron Decepticon: This Nintendo game provides hours of entertainment featuring original Autobots and Decepticons.
Transformers: Generations toys and accessories are available at most toy stores or online, and vary widely in price from $5.99 to $59.99.
Choosing the Best Transformer Toy
Transformer toys offer a wide range of options that can meet the age level and interest of any child. Age recommendations should be followed closely as some action figures have small parts that can be dangerous to small children, but many toys exist for younger ages as well. With books, action figures, Kre-O building sets, videos and video games, the specific interest of your child can be met with this interesting and fun toy line.